HOW ILLNESSES AND INJURIES AFFECT THE MIND
Health complications can be stressful, especially in more vulnerable populations like young children and the elderly. With stress and loss of function often come depression and other psychological manifestations. As a nurse, part of your job is to recognize and educate patients and caregivers on how to deal with the psychological complications of a health crisis.
In this Assignment, you will educate either a caregiver of an elderly patient or a caregiver of a young child patient on ways to prevent and manage psychological manifestations. Review the Learning Resources dealing with injuries and depression and anxiety.
· Buijck, B. I., Zuidema, S. U., Spruit-van Eijk, M., Bor, H., Gerritsen, D. L., & Koopmans, R. T. C. M. (2014). Determinants of geriatric patients’ quality of life after stroke rehabilitationLinks to an external site. . Aging & Mental Health, 18(8), 980–985. http://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2014.899969
· Haugan, G., Innstrand, S.T. & Moksnes, U.K. (2013). The effect of nurse-patient interaction on anxiety and depression in cognitively intact nursing home patientsLinks to an external site. . Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22(15–16), 2192-2205. http://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12072
· Frazao, S. L., Correia, A.M., Norton, P. & Magalhaes, T. (2015). Physical abuse against elderly persons in institutional settingsLinks to an external site. . Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, 36, 54-60. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2015.09.002
· Liu, C. H. & Tronick, E. (2013). Rates and predictors of postpartum depression by race and ethnicity: Results from the 2004 to 2007 New York City PRAMS Survey (Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System)Links to an external site. . Maternal Child Health Journal, 17, 1599-1610. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-012-1171-z
· Spilman, S. K., Smith, H. L., Schirmer, L. L., & Tonui, P. M. (2015). Evaluation and treatment of depression in adult trauma patientsLinks to an external site. . Journal of Trauma Nursing, 22(1), 17–22. http://doi.org/10.1097/JTN.0000000000000102
· United Nations Children’s Fund. (2014). Hidden in plain sight: A statistical analysis of violence against childrenLinks to an external site. . http://files.unicef.org/publications/files/Hidden_in_plain_sight_statistical_analysis_EN_3_Sept_2014.pdf
· Steiner, L. M. (2012). Why domestic violence victims don’t leave Links to an external site. . [Video]. TED conferences. https://www.ted.com/talks/leslie_morgan_steiner_why_domestic_violence_victims_don_t_leave?language=en#t-58672
Develop a teaching plan for treating the potential psychological issues that may result from health crises in either the elderly or young children. You will use PowerPoint to present your teaching plan. Some considerations to make include:
· In what ways does mental health need to be considered across the illness/injury continuum?
· How can nurses help both patients and caregivers work through mental blocks and depression associated with an illness or injury?
· Although treatment will take place in a medical facility, how can non-medical treatments be used as a supplement?
Support your idea with a minimum of three references from the professional nursing literature in the assigned course readings and other references in the Walden Library. If they are relevant, you may use one or two professional Web sites in addition to the literature references.
Include the main elements of your presentation to a group of parents or elderly or their caregivers. This PowerPoint presentation should include between 8–10 slides. It will be assessed using the Week 3 Assignment. Prior to submitting your Assignment, make sure to review the rubric, which is located at the bottom of this Assignment page.
Note : Be sure to use the Walden Power Point template included in the Writing Resources and Program Success Tools.
The following resources can help to guide you: