Evaluation And Reflection
Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook are undoubtedly dominating the world of online social networking, and the willingness of many users to self-disclose personal information ranging from moods to religious affiliation, relationship status, and personal contact information has led to an increase in privacy concerns. They offer convenient opportunities to stay in touch with friends, family, and coworkers, but are people using them responsibly? Some argue that there are fundamental differences between today’s digital natives, whose private and public selves are intertwined through these technologies, and older generations (Kornblum, 2007).
Even though some colleges are offering seminars on managing privacy online, we still hear stories of self-disclosure gone wrong, such as the football player from the University of Texas who was kicked off the team in 2008 for posting racist comments about Barrack Obama after he was elected the President. However, social media experts say cases like this are rare and that most students are aware of who can see what they are posting and the potential consequences (Nealy, 2009). The issue of privacy management on Instagram and Twitter is affecting many relationships including family, friends, and schoolmates, and work colleagues.
For this assignment, address the following using the headings given. Write a paragraph response for each question.
- Online Management
- How do you manage your privacy and self-disclosures online?
- Do you think it is ethical for school officials or potential employers to make admission or hiring decisions based on what they can learn about you online? Why or why not?
- PowerPoint Process
- What was helpful to you during the process of organizing the PowerPoint presentation?
- What did you find constructive in the process of designing the PowerPoint slides?
- What was instructive regarding the process of taking your notes and turning them into a lesson you taught to the class using the PowerPoint?
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (if needed)