Wk 2 Permissive Restrictions for Firearms Ranks Highly Questions
I have attached the article for this assignment.
Now it’s time to practice thinking through a controversial issue carefully. Gun control is a topic that often elicits strong feelings, and you may already have a firm opinion about it. Perhaps even just hearing the words “gun control” makes you feel an instant emotional response. Try to put those feelings aside so you can practice the believing game and the doubting game to examine the reasonable (and unreasonable) aspects of various perspectives and opinions.
You can explore these perspectives by examining the pro/con list provided byProCon.org, a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that provides these lists for a number of controversial issues. The pro side lists reasons for supporting each issue, and the con side lists reasons for opposing each issue. In this activity, you’ll focus on the issue of gun control.
- Explain what you believe is the most compelling reason listed by ProCon.org for supporting the conclusion that more gun control laws SHOULD be enacted.
- Explain what you believe is the most compelling reason listed by ProCon.org for supporting the conclusion that more gun control laws SHOULD NOT be enacted.
- Imagine the perspective of an abuse victim whose partner has threatened to shoot them on multiple occasions. How might this person view the issue of gun control?
- Imagine the perspective of an avid hunter who likes to use guns labeled as assault rifles to hunt deer. How might this person view the issue of gun control?
- Did considering multiple viewpoints and new information on this topic have any impact on your original opinion about whether more gun control laws should be enacted?
- Yes, I’m strongly reconsidering.
- Yes, it made me think a little more about the other side.
- Yes, but not enough to change my mind.
- No, not even a little bit.